Wednesday, November 16, 2011

When you struggle to feel grateful

It's been a crazy week for us. Between the rain, a fractured tailbone and a sick 3 year old, my temper has reared it's persistent and ugly head and patience is in short supply around our house.
Last night, I just lost it. I was feeling sorry for myself and very stressed. Little E was crying and I realized just how contagious my attitude is. And I realized, self-pity is probably the biggest obstacle to fully living a life of gratitude.

So today, I am thinking about joy and what it means to rejoice. Despite how I feel.

There's a hymn written in 1882 by a guy named George Matheson. It's been redone by several people in the past several years but despite the antiquated language in the hymn, I think the words are incredibly powerful. The 3rd verse is rolling around my head again and again. "Oh Joy that seekest me through pain, I cannot close my heart to thee."
If I could sum up the adoption process and my heart over the last year, that would cover it. Those 14 words would cover the Hope that is present despite the many dark nights. The Joy that pursues despite my despair.


O Love that wilt not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in thee;
I give thee back the life I owe,
That in thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be.

O light that followest all my way,
I yield my flickering torch to thee;
My heart restores its borrowed ray,
That in thy sunshine’s blaze its day
May brighter, fairer be.

O Joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain,
That morn shall tearless be.

O Cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from thee;
I lay in dust life’s glory dead,
And from the ground there blossoms red
Life that shall endless be.



1 comment: