Saturday, November 12, 2011

Birthmothers

When thinking about gratitude this month, I can't help but think of our child's birth mother.

I think of the hours and hours she has likely spent thinking about this decision. I think about the people she had to face at work, school and in her family who might not agree with her decision. All of the time she spent carrying a baby she knew she would never bring home. When I think of her, I can't help but be overwhelmed by an unspeakable gratitude.

Who is this courageous woman who would be so selfless as to trust me with her child? Where does one come up with that level of strength? Delivering a baby and then being discharged to go home without that little one in your arms is an experience I still struggle to fathom.

How do I honor her sacrifice? How do I show my gratitude? How will I live in a way that respects her sacrifice and courage?

When I struggle with self-doubt or worry I'm not cut out to be an adoptive parent, I'll think of her.


No comments:

Post a Comment