Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Waiting Place



For an impatient, control-oriented person like me, there is nothing more difficult than waiting. Perhaps there's something I can learn here but it's painful nonetheless. While I love when people ask how things are going with the adoption, I hate the answer, which most often is: "We're just waiting". Unlike other periods of time where I've been waiting for something, this is different. There is no end date and nothing we can do. It can be maddening and heartbreaking all at once.

I know there are people who have waited longer and some that haven't waited at all but no matter where you are in the process, it can be so disheartening to be in limbo.

It reminds me of The Waiting Place from Dr. Seuss' "Oh, the Places You'll Go".

"...The Waiting Place…for people just waiting.

Waiting for a train to go or a bus to come, or a plane to go or the mail to come, or the rain to go or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow or waiting around for a Yes or No or waiting for their hair to grow. Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite or waiting around for Friday night or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil, or a Better Break or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants or a wig with curls, or Another Chance. Everyone is just waiting."

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment