Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Seth's First Post

I knew when I got married to Megan that adoption was going to be in our future.  We had talked about it from the very beginning of our courtship.  Even with all of that, being at this point seems a little unbelievable.  Going through a pregnancy and birth of a child was a whole new and exciting experience and it is the same way with the adoption process for me.  Both processes are very different from one another, yet along the way I am learning so much about family, my wife and our family vision. 


One year ago this Saturday marks the date of our miscarriage.  I know this is fairly common but that does not change the fact that it was a hardship for our family.  Many things have changed in the last year, yet here we are. Our home study done and we are ready.  While we wait I have taken time to reflect on all that has brought us to this point.  Eventually we will get a call (we hope) and there will be a baby for us. Again, change will come quickly.  So before we get that call, I have been taking stock of my family and gained a growing appreciation for our family.  Parenting a three year old has been a lot different than parenting a baby, life has gotten more hectic, time is passing by so quickly.  Megan and I have been through many life changing events over the past year.  On the eve of an adoption, we are doing our best to prepare for another life changing event.        

In a weird way I liken to where we are to an engagement, a very exciting, scary time, you are on the edge of something you have no idea what will come next but you are filled with hope and excitement.  Everyone seems to have their own opinions on how to proceed, yet there is no real clear path.  Every step seems huge and uncertain.  I guess this is where your faith comes in.  Every couple days Ella (our three year old) asks us to talk about the baby we will adopt.  She wants to buy it bottles and clothes, she wants to talk about what we did with her as a baby, so our family talks with our baby about the baby we want to adopt.  I have found most of my thoughts have been with the birth mom and the hard choice she has in front of her.  I pray for her.  We approach the next step in this adoption with a little fear, a lot of hope and a ton of excitement.  

No comments:

Post a Comment